Welcome!

Jennifer Douglas is a literary publicist who believes in the right of equality for all authors. With a vision of a world where positivity is the norm and negativity is long forgotten Jennifer works alongside authors creating a marketing and publicity plan that meets the needs of the individual.

With years of experience in publicity, public relations and the marketing industry, which includes working with Allen and Unwin and Palmer Higgs Publishing, Jennifer has become a well sort after reviewer. To work with Jennifer is to know you are working with someone who will not hold back on being open and honest about your book and its marketing possibilities.

Having undertaken many courses in writing and poetry over the years Jennifer has a vast knowledge in the field of writing and reviewing, being able to provide an efficient, effective and professional service. As a qualified Early Childhood Educator and a home educating mum with over 16 years experience, she has a passion for quality children's books and educational resources.

Having spent 6 years as the founder and managing editor of two magazines, Good Gabble and Rattling Reviews, Jennifer has an eye for marketing and sales, knowing what the consumer is looking for and how to reach them. She works individually with each client meeting their needs and the needs of their product. She has many years experience in critiquing websites, placing herself in the shoes of the consumer who is browsing. Many clients return time and time again knowing they will be receiving an honest, open and non judgmental review or critique. Jennifer prides herself on providing a friendly, non threatening and personal service. Her clients are able to contact her personally throughout the whole review process.


For further information on the services Jennifer offers please visit her website www.jenniferdouglasliterarypublicist.com. This blog is a review base only.




Monday, December 22, 2014

Mothers and Daughters by Kylie Ladd

This book was reviewed as part of the Christmas Advent Calendar 2014

3 sleeps till Christmas.





Four mothers. Four teenage daughters, 

An isolated tropical paradise with no internet or mobile phone reception.

What could possible go wrong?

There’s tension, bitchiness, bullying, sex, drunken confessions, bad behaviour and breakdowns - and wait till you see what the teenagers get up to...

The above words come from the back of the book Mothers and Daughters by Kylie Ladd. A book that introduces us to a group of mothers and their daughters who spend time together in a remote part of Australia.

I am a fan of Kylie Ladd. For me Kylie would be up there as one of my favourite Australia female authors but something went amiss for me in Mothers and Daughters. I enjoyed this book but only enjoyed it. It missed the mark with grabbing me and enveloping me in the characters. I became a little bored in places and annoyed with the characters at times. If they were my friends I am sure I would have been slapping some sense into them and telling them to grow up. At times Mothers and Daughters created tension and frustration within me so I suppose we could say that Kylie Ladd was touching the emotions in me, even if I would have preferred to have enjoyed my read.

The last book of Kylie Ladd’s I read was Into My Arms. This grabbed me and I felt every emotion of the characters. I rode the journey. This was not the case with Mothers and Daughters. I found it difficult to connect with the characters and felt I was just sitting there with the group wanting to be elsewhere. Mothers and Daughters still provides the well written flowing plot of Kylie Ladd. It shows her strength as a writer and has in no way left me feeling I would not read a Kylie Ladd book again. I am not one to become involved with groups of women where tension and bitchiness is high and alcohol is involved. I would also not put up with the behaviour of some of the teenage girls. 

So when they say there is tension and bitchiness, they are right. Within Mothers and Daughters you will travel this road. Bad behaviours and breakdowns are definitely part of it also. Too much for this reader though. Sorry Kylie Ladd. Overall well written and a great story but just too much tension in a read for me.

Give it a read and let me know what you think.

ISBN: 978-1-76011-066-6

Find out more: www.kylieladd.com.au

review: Jennifer Douglas 


No comments:

Post a Comment