Welcome!

Jennifer Douglas is a literary publicist who believes in the right of equality for all authors. With a vision of a world where positivity is the norm and negativity is long forgotten Jennifer works alongside authors creating a marketing and publicity plan that meets the needs of the individual.

With years of experience in publicity, public relations and the marketing industry, which includes working with Allen and Unwin and Palmer Higgs Publishing, Jennifer has become a well sort after reviewer. To work with Jennifer is to know you are working with someone who will not hold back on being open and honest about your book and its marketing possibilities.

Having undertaken many courses in writing and poetry over the years Jennifer has a vast knowledge in the field of writing and reviewing, being able to provide an efficient, effective and professional service. As a qualified Early Childhood Educator and a home educating mum with over 16 years experience, she has a passion for quality children's books and educational resources.

Having spent 6 years as the founder and managing editor of two magazines, Good Gabble and Rattling Reviews, Jennifer has an eye for marketing and sales, knowing what the consumer is looking for and how to reach them. She works individually with each client meeting their needs and the needs of their product. She has many years experience in critiquing websites, placing herself in the shoes of the consumer who is browsing. Many clients return time and time again knowing they will be receiving an honest, open and non judgmental review or critique. Jennifer prides herself on providing a friendly, non threatening and personal service. Her clients are able to contact her personally throughout the whole review process.


For further information on the services Jennifer offers please visit her website www.jenniferdouglasliterarypublicist.com. This blog is a review base only.




Friday, August 10, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy - E L James


With all the media hype of late I thought I would put to the test the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy by E L James – Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shade Darker, Fifty Shades Freed. This is the first time I have ever read an erotic romance, not usually my cup of tea, so was hesitant as to how I was going to feel. Well my hesitation and uncertainty was soon put to rest as I turned page by page with anticipation.

“Romantic, liberating and totally addictive, this is a novel that will obsess you, possess you and stay with you forever” is written on the back cover of book one, Fifty Shades of Grey, and how correct it is. As soon as I finished the last page I was rushing out to buy the next two in the trilogy. No one dare disturb me as I sunk myself into the wild and seductive, yet romantic, world of Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey.

As a liberated and open minded person I did not find the dominant/submissive sexual fantasy of Christian Grey overwhelming or hard to deal with, nor did I find them sexual stimulating, but some may. Hey each to there own I say, it takes all sorts to make the world go around. I find the human mind and lifestyles of others interesting and intriguing and although fiction this trilogy gives you a brief insight into the reality of the sexual world of others.

My page turning interest in this trilogy was the romantic story of Anastasia Steele, a women who finds herself falling in love with a rich man who has a life totally outside that of hers. Her struggle to understand his wealth and find acceptance and a place in a lifestyle that engulfs her. Then there is Christian Grey a man that turns heads as he walks down the street and has every women gushing and going weak at the knees. Hurt by a past of confusion, loss and trauma, seeking in Anastasia a submissive to meet his sexual desires yet finding a young beautiful women who turns his world around. E L James takes the reader on a journey of love, lust, desire and commitment in an unconventional way, that at times, could be sexually arousing yet is sweet, romantic and heart touching.

I did feel that the amount of sex in the first book could have been lessened, as it did become that of total disbelief and unrealism as one got halfway through the book. Sex every day, every moment, reaching constant orgasm, lusting and desiring one another is not a piece of reality for most and the fantasy soon became boring and repetitive. I know the book is fiction but for me fiction must contain a little bit of believability or one soon starts to loose that of being able to live in the world of the characters. One must be able to take one self from the believable world to the one of fantasy knowing there is a little bit of possibility.

For me Fifty Shades Darker ( book two ) was the one that was most enjoyable. Less sex, more real romance and twists and turns of deceit and betrayal left me wanting more each page. At times the suspense was so invigorating I found myself fighting sleep in order to turn the page. Book two ends with a cliff hanger and here it should have stopped. I love a book that leaves me wondering for weeks what happened, who it is or who did it. I love to be left floating forever with questions hanging over my head and this is what E L James manages to do with Fifty Shades Darker.

Then the reader moves onto Fifty Shades Freed.....in my opinion E L James should have stopped at book two. I found Fifty Shades Freed slow and a little hard to get into. Whether it was that I had already read two in the series and was a little over it or the storyline was weak I am really unsure but I feel it was the later. Still a romantic love story, book three was just missing that little thing that wanted me to read more. It all became a little boring and I felt E L James struggled to continue building her characters and their life. There was little sex, for the reader who sex was the draw card, as after all how much can one do. It was as though the characters had finally come down to earth and became a little more “real” but this seemed to cause change in the flow of story telling and style of writing which lost me as I had become familiar with the writings of E L James.

So do I recommend the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy? Of course. Enjoyable, stimulating, erotic and romantic they have something for everyone. I question whether the media hype really is worth it but it boosts sales and I am sure E L James in not complaining. One needs to remember that they are just a set of fiction books  and that whilst reading them leads to entertainment and conversation we need to question if  they really will change the sexual relationships of everyday man and build a place of happier, more loving relationships? In reality I think not.

Jennifer Deaves



No comments:

Post a Comment